Friday, November 14, 2014

While I hurry up and wait...

So my feelings about this trip change hourly, but right now I'm feeling good. The following article explains the plan for the transitional government, which should be set up in the next few days (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30046413). This is very good news and their plan of action sounds good to me. Maybe if they can get a stable government going, the rest of the country will prosper? I hope so.

If anything, at least now more people know that Burkina Faso actually exists right? Well, maybe not because most news outlets in the US aren't covering that, which is really frustrating. I feel like we have a very skewed view of the world in the US. Maybe I shouldn't generalize, but I can promise that 90% of what I know about the rest of the countries in the world is from 1) Playing Sporcle and 2) my own research (I'm kind of a documentary and research nerd but what else is new). I think we'd all be better off if we realized that the world is bigger than our country, or our town, or our school, or ourselves. There are 7 billion other people on this planet, do you care about their lives? Do you have any interest in the way they live? Their cultures and language? I could go on, but that's a paper for another day. This is why I think every. single. person. who is able should travel or study abroad.

How many do you know??
 Ok, rant done.

Anyways, with all this cold weather, I'm looking forward to the warm already :)


Got anymore travel tips for me? Also, if anyone needs gift ideas (cough cough mom) I need some long skirts, sunscreen, and stuff to do while traveling (24 hours each way!!)

Take care <3

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment